One of the questions in the GCE O/L paper is paragraph writing. This question carries 5 marks and is a paper 1 question. I hope this would be very useful to average students.
Write paragraphs for the following topics. Your paragraph should contain 50 – 60 words.


1.  A visit to the village fair    
 2. If I were a bird       
 3. The College English Day     
 4. The Value of Friendship    
 5. Books are our friends   
 6. The internet        
 7. Newspapers     
 8. My Ambition       
 9. The person I like most   
10. How I spend my leisure         
11. My favourite pastime     
12. My favourite animal  
13. The joy of travelling        
14. How I spent my last weekend        
15. My favourite sport     
16. An unforgettable trip     
 17. A shramadana campaign   
 18. A visit to a botanical garden 
 19. Water is an important resource.     
 20. A place of historic importance in Sri Lanka. (1)  
 21. A place of historic importance in Sri Lanka 
 22. A visit to a place of historic importance 
 23. My last school vacation.  
 24. A famous city in Sri Lanka  
 25. The Value of Time 
 26. Early bird catches the worm.   
 27. The television as a source of information 
 28. If I were the head prefect of my school 
29. A beautiful place in Sri Lanka
                                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                      

                                                                                                                                                 

                                



   A visit to the village fair

I visited the village fair with my mother last Saturday. We went to the fair in the morning. There was a big crowd at the fair. It was very noisy. There were hundreds of vendors selling vegetables, fruits, sweets, clothes etc. First we bought vegetables. They were very fresh. Mother bought some fruits, too. She bought me a handkerchief for school. We spent about two hours at the fair. 

 'If I were a bird'  

If I were a bird I would fly around my country with my bird friends. Then I could visit all the beautiful places in my country. I could taste the sweetest fruits in the country. Then I would live in the Sinharaja rain forest. I would make a beautiful nest in a tall tree. Then I could protect myself from my enemies. I would make friends with tourist birds and visit other countries with them. Then I would enjoy my life as a bird. 
 
The College English Day.

The College English day was held on the 20th of October in the College main hall. It was organized by the college English Society. The chief guest was the director of education. A large number of parents and past pupils participated in it. It started at 10 a.m. First the principal welcomed the guests. There were many beautiful items like recitation, dramas, songs, dances etc. The chief guest gave away certificates to the winners of the English competitions. It was a beautiful day for all the students.  

 The value of friendship

A friendship is a bond between two living beings. We cannot live without friends. Life is dull without friends. A good friendship helps us lead a happy life. We can share our problems with our friends. Friends help us when we are in trouble. A good friend never looks away when we have faced with a problem. A friendship is a tower of strength. So everyone needs a good fiendship. It is a valuable thing for life. 


 Books are our friends

Books are a part of our life. They help us in many ways. We get knowledge mainly from books. We never feel time passing when we read a good book. Books help us improve our knowledge. We can learn about the world around us by reading a book. They make us perfect. A well read man is a walking library. So books make us strong and help us face challenges of life. 


 The internet

The internet is the most common source of information in the modern world. It is very easy to use. We can find any information at a click. One can read books, watch movies , talk with another etc using the internet. It helps us improve our knowledge. It has many disadvantages too. For example some of its information could be wrong and misleading. So we must learn to use the internet the proper way. 


Newspapers

A newspaper is one of the most popular sources of information in the world. They are more closer to people than books. A newspaper has something for everyone of the family. They bring us news from all around the world. A newspaper contains different kinds of news like news on sports, politics, education, health etc. A newspaper is a powerful source of information. 


My ambition

Everyone has an ambition in life. That is the goal in one's life. My ambition is to be a teacher. I like to be a teacher because of many reasons. First it is a noble proffession. Every one respects teachers. Next I like to be with children. Teaching helps me spend most part of my life with children. It is not a boring job. I specially like to be a teacher of English. I always work hard to realize my dream. 

The Person I like most

The person I like most is my grandfather. His name is Mr. Jayaratne. He lives at Veyangoda. He is my paternal grandfather. My grandfather is tall and thin. He is a retired principal. He likes reading very much. He helps my school homework. He wears glasses when he reads books. I like him because he is a very kind hearted person. 




 How I spend my leisure

Leisure means freetime. I do many activities in my leisure.  I usually read books in my leisure. I like to read English story books very much. Also I work in my garden in my leisure time. Gardening is good for both mental and physical health. I do not forget to play with my friends, too. I sometimes help my mother in the kitchen. I always try to spend my leisure in a very useful way. 


My favourite pastime 

My favourite pastime is gardening. It is a very useful pastime. I usually engage in gardening at weekends. I water the plants and manure them. My parents also help my pastime. I sweep the gareden when I am free. I enjoy gardening very much. It keeps me healthy. 


My favourite animal

There are many animals in the world. But my most favourite animal is the dog. It is called man's best friend. Man and dog have been good friends since prehistoric times. There are different breeds of dogs. Among them I like the dalmatian most. The dog is an omnivore. It eats almost anything. But they like to eat meat most. It is a friendly animal. They are very useful for man. I like dogs very much. 

The Joy of travelling 

Travelling is always fun. It brings   about a change in life. In other words it breaks the monotony of life. We can meet new people and start up new friendships by travelling. It is also an opportunity for enjoying the beauty of nature. We can learn about the world and add more experience to life by travelling. 


  How I Spent My Last Weekend

On Saturday morning I got up at 6 a.m. Then I did my school homework till 8. After that I had my breakfast and left home to my English class. I returned home at about 2 p.m. I helped mother in the evening. I watered the flowers and swept the house. On sunday I went to Dhamma school in the morning. It the after noon I played with my friends. I wrote an English essay in the evening. 


My favourite sport

My favourite sport is cricket. Cricket is a team sport. The birth place of cricket is England. It is usually an outdoor sport. However it is played as an indoor game, too. There are two teams in a cricket match. Each team has eleven players. There is an umpire to judge a match. Players use a bat and a ball to play the match. A bowler can bowl only six deliveries at a time. It is called an 'over'. There are two kinds of cricket matches: test matches and one day matches.  Cricket is an interesting game.


An Unforgettable Trip 

I went on a trip to Nuwara Eliya last month. It was my first trip to Nuwara Eliya. I saw beautiful flowers along the road. The cold climate and the mist covered tea estates made me feel like in England. On the way, our van met with an accident, too. It delayed our journey by few hours. We visited the Horton Plains and the World's End. I lost my camera at the Horton Plains. I cried and father bought me a new one from Nuwara Eliya. It was an unforgettable trip in my life.

A Shramadana Campaign

A shramadana campaign was held at our school last Sunday. The purpose of the campaign was to clean the school garden to protect children from dengue. The campaign was organized by the Health Society of our school. A large number of parents, past pupils, the staff and the pupils from Grades 9 to 13 particpated in this campaign. The campaign started at 9 a.m. and finished at 1 p.m. The participants cleaned the school garden and the playground. It was a very successful programme. 

A visit to a botanical garden

I visited the Peradeniya Botanical Garden last Sunday. I visited the Peradeniya Garden with my parents and brother. It was my first visit to the Peradeniya Botanical Garden. I saw many beautiful plants and flowers. I liked the memorial trees most. I visited the orchid house and I saw different kinds of orchids there. I saw large bamboo trees. The cactus garden was another attractive place in the garden. I like to visit the Peradeniya Garden
once again.
Water is an important resource

Water is a gift of mother nature. Water is essential for all the living beings. No living being can live without water. We need water for drinking, cooking , bathing etc. We get water mainly from rain. We use water for agriculture and for many other industries. Some people pollute the water sources like rivers , springs, streams etc. So there can be a problem of drinking water in the future.

 
A place of historic importance in Sri Lanka(1)

Sigiriya is an importan place of historic importance in Sri Lanka. It is a world heritage site. It is situated close to Dambulla in the Matale District. Sigiriya was built by king Kashyapa. It is a rock fortress. There is a moat around the rock. The mirror wall and the wall paintings of Sigiriya are world famous. Sigiriya is an architectural masterpiece.


A place of historic importance in Sri Lanka. (2) 

 The Dalamaligawa in Kandy is an important place of historic importance in Sri Lanka. It is the most sacred place of worship of Buddhists all over the world. The sacred tooth relic of the Gauthama Buddha is enshrined here. Thousands of Buddhists visit this place every day.  It is a world heritage site. The Bogambara wewa and the cloud walls add beauty to the Dalada Maligawa. 



A visit to a place of historic importance

I visited Sigiriya last month with my parents. It was a beautiful place. There was a moat around the rock. The royal garden was very beautiful. It was complete with flowering trees and ponds. Half way up the rock I could see the wall paintings and the mirror wall. I climbed up the rock. It was a breath taking sight. I felt proud of my forefathers. Sigiriya is a place that every one should visit.



My last school vacation

I had a lot of fun during my last school vacation. I visited my grandparents in Anuradhapura during my last school vacation. I stayed there about one week. I watched cartoons every evening. I played with my friends in the village, too. I sometimes helped my mum in the kitchen. I helped my dad water the plants. However I did not forget my school homework. I enjoyed my last school vaccation very much.


A famous city in Sri Lanka

Kandy is a famous city in Sri Lanka. It is situated in the Central Province. Kandy is a historic city. It is the last kingdom of Sri Lanka. It is only a two hour drive from Colombo. The historic Temple of the Tooth is situated in Kandy. The Bogambara wewa enhances the beauty of Kandy. The famous Peradeniya Botanical garden is located in close proximity to Kandy. Today it is a bustling cosmopolitan. 



An interesting person I know

The most interesting person in my life is none other than my paternal grandfather. He lives at our home. He is in his seventies now. He is a retired teacher. My grandfather is a very kindhearted gentleman. He is very helpful to every one. He is a well-read man. He always encourages me to read. He has the habit of reading newspapers every morning. I specially like him because he is a down to earth gentleman.


The Value of Time

Time is a precious thing. It is a free force. Time and age go hand in hand. It does not wait for anyone.  We must make best use of time because lost time is worse than lost money. We must not postpone our work. We must plan our work for better management of time. No body can control time. But we can control how time is used. We must understand the value of time and make best use of it. 


Early bird catches the worm 

       This is a popular saying in the society. It tells us the importance of doing our work early.  If we can start our work early we can reap its benefits. Then we have time to plan and do our work well. It minimizes the problems you face in doing your work. One who gets late is always in a hurry. So when you are in a hurry you make a lot of mistakes. Then you could miss some important things, too. So, this is a very useful saying for our life.   


The television as a source of information 
        The television is the most popular source of information among people. People get information mostly from TV in the modern world. We get information on what is happening in the world, wild life , science , sports etc. from TV. The television is a source of knowledge, too. It brings the whole world to our doorstep. We can watch live programmes on TV. It is the most powerful mode of communication in the modern world. The television is a necessary household item today.


If I were the head prefect of my school

      If I were the head prefect of my school, I would serve my school the best I could. I would be a role model for other students. Then I would go to school everyday. I would be loyal to the principal and the staff. I would do my duties very well. Then I would start a project to help the needy children in our school together with other students. I would never be an arrogant student. I would be a very humble student. 


A beautiful place in Sri Lanka
 Among the many beautiful places in Sri Lanka Trinco is one of them. Trinco is situated in the Eastern Province. It is a harbor city. Trinco is a place of historic importance, too. The beautiful beaches like the Nilaweli and the Marble beach add beauty to Trinco. The town beach is another beautiful place in Trinco. There are many places of historic importance scattered around Trinco. It is a place that one should visit. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog