SIMPLE PAST TENSE

 

Simple Past Tense

 

Today let’s learn Simple Past Tense

 

We need to know how the base form of the verb changes into past form.

 

Go through the verb list given (Irregular Verbs)

 

Regular verbs form their past by adding -ed/d/ied/t

 

We are going to discuss under the following topics

 

Affirmative

Negative

Interrogative

Wh questions

General questions.

 

 

Simple Past Examples: Affirmative Sentences

 

1.  She came back last Thursday.

2.  I saw her in the building.

3.  I made a cake for my mom, it was delicious

4.  I ran to the train station every day

5.  I sent some flowers to my girlfriends, today it is her birthday

 

 

It can also be used to talk about a period of time

1.   She lived in California for seven years.

2.   They were in London from Monday to Friday

3.   Last week, I stayed with my sister for a few days

4.   Joe lived in Boston for ten years.

5.   From 1981 to 1984, he worked for a large multinational company.

 

 

 

 

Simple Past and Expressions of Time

You will often find the past simple used with time expressions such as these:

1.  I met him yesterday

2.  I saw him two weeks ago

3.  She came to visit me last year

4.  The last time I went to concert was in 2009

5.  She was the best singer of the last century

 

 

 

Simple Past Examples: Negative Sentences.

 

The negative is used with did not (didn’t) + base verb

 

1.   I didn’t work hard for the examination.

2.   They didn’t tell me anything.

3.   She didn’t accept my invitation.

4.   Saman didn’t prepare for the tournament.

5.   We didn’t think about that plan.

 

 

Simple Past Examples: Questions/ Interrogatives

 

These questions are formed using ‘Did’+ base form of the verb

 

1.   Did you get the vaccination?

2.   Did you answer all the questions?

3.   Did your teacher inform about the programme?

4.   Did Sri Lanka win a gold medal at the Olympics this year?

5.   Did Ravi buy books from Sarasaviya?

 

Simple Past Conversation questions

These are some common questions you can make when talking about the past

1.  Where did you go on your last vacation?

2.  What did you do for your last birthday?

3.  What did you do last week?

4.  How did you spend your weekend?

5.  What did you do yesterday morning?

6.  Did you watch any movies last night? What movies did you watch?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog